For the past five years, we have hosted artists and writers in a small studio apartment above a garage. While this has served us well the space has limited our ability to host artists requiring larger studio space, collaborating artists, artists requiring special accommodations and parent artists.
In the spring of 2018, we began construction on a 1,100 square foot residence and a separate but co-located 576 square foot studio. The expected completion date is July 2019.
The new facility will allow us to:
- operate year-round
- host collaborating artists or writers
- provide reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities
- provide a dedicated studio space
- host parent artists/writers
The new facility is located at 910 N. Lamkin Road, less than a 1/8th of a mile from our current location.
- 1.5 stories – main floor and loft (approx. 1100 sq. ft. total)
- master bedroom on the main floor, loft room for extra bedroom or workspace
- 1.5 bathrooms
- green building design with in-floor heating and R-70 insulation in ceilings
- the first floor is designed to provide reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities
- the studio is a separate building located about 30 feet of the residence.
- 576 square feet in size
- meets standards for accessible design (ADA)
- designed with input from local artists and alumni artists
- includes a covered porch area and a large hydraulic door to allow artists to experience their natural surroundings while they work