A Curated Residency
We at Good Hart Artist Residency acknowledge the inequity that exists in our society, including within the arts. We feel we must take mindful steps to help undo the structural inequities caused by systemic racism.
For these reasons, we strive to extend our resources to people from communities that have been marginalized or are underrepresented in the arts. The Elevating Diverse Voices – Curated Residency program is a continuation of our efforts to bring a diversity of artists to Good Hart to nurture artists and to build relationships. We provide a space and time for artists to create and share their work with the community which builds awareness and understanding.
For the third year in a row, Juana Williams will curate this program. Juana is the Associate Curator of African-American Art at the Detroit Institute of Arts. She specializes in elevating diverse voices in art, and she is a Good Hart Artist Residency board member. Juana will again nominate Black Artists to a committee that will then select a final candidate to participate in a residency in Good Hart. The Elevating Diverse Voices – Curated Residency time slot is scheduled for June 2023. The selected artists will have the flexibility to schedule a residency stay between 10 – 21 days in length sometime during the month of June.
The Elevating Diverse Voices residency will include the following:
This is the only residency time slot offered by our organization that is curated. All of our other residency time slots are filled by selected artists, writers, and composers that apply to the program through our open call. For more information please see our residency overview page.
- A 10 – 21 day residency stay in Good Hart to be scheduled during June 2023
- Use of the 1,150 sq ft residence and a 24×14 detached studio space
- A fully stocked and well-equipped kitchen for the resident to prepare meals. We provide homemade baked goods and jams, locally sourced ingredients, and seasonal vegetables from the host’s garden when available.
- $500.00 stipend upon successful completion of a residency stay
- Resident will participate in a mutually agreed upon art event in collaboration with one of our community partners. The resident will also participate in one Open Studio Saturday during their stay.
2022 Selected Artist – Rashaun Rucker
The artist selected for the 2022 Elevating Diverse Voices Residency was Rashaun Rucker. He was the artist-in-residence from August 21 to September 4, 2022.
You can learn more about Rashaun’s work at his website: rashaunrucker.com
2021 Selected Artist – Zakkiyyah Najeebah Dumas-O’neal
The artist selected for the 2021 Elevating Diverse Voices Residency was Zakkiyyah Najeebah Dumas-O’neal. She was the artist-in-residence May 21 – June 4, 2021.
You can learn more about Zakkiyyah’s work at her website: zakkiyyahnajeebah.com